Annons:
Tagbest-of-sweden
Read 2265 times
Niklas
2020-03-04 16:59

Trysunda, the prettiest island in Sweden

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Trysunda is a small island in the middle of the High Coast, a UNESCO World Heritage site. It Is also a nature reserve. Life on Trysunda for centuries centered around fishing. The small fishing village was built around the islands sheltered bay, no later than in the 17th century.

Nowadays, the bay can be reached by boat from the south, but initially, there were three inlets to the bay. That is also where the name Trysunda came from. Trysunda means ”three inlets.” Land uplift caused by the melting ice sheet from the last ice age has turned the other channels into parts of the island. The current land uplift is 8 millimeters each year. That means Trysunda has risen several meters since fishers first colonized it. The total land uplift of the High Coast area is some 800 meters. During the ice age, Trysunda was at the bottom of the sea, hundreds of meters below the surface.

The total area of Trysunda is less than 4 square kilometers, making it easy to reach all parts on foot. There are sandy beaches and cobblestone beaches suitable for bathing. You can find red rock beaches, an old mine, a bog with water lilies, forest, mountains, several vantage points, pasture with sheep, a cemetery, a hostel, a visitors dock, a 17th-century chapel, a fishing museum, a café and restaurant, a small grocery store and lots of other beautiful places.

You go to Trysunda by boat, for instance by ferry from Köpmanholmen, south of Örnsköldsvik. The ferry ride takes about 30 minutes. I suggest you visit Trysunda in the middle of the Swedish summer, which usually means July. Stay at least a couple of days if you want to enjoy all parts of the island without rushing it.

» Trysunda | The High Coast of Sweden

» Home - Take the ferry to and from Ulvön

» Trysunda | County Administrative Board of Västernorrland

» Trysunda hostel - Tripadvisor

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Niklas
2020-03-04 17:25

I forgot: The QR codes contain GPS positions for each place. They come from the camera location, but hopefully, they are accurate enough. Scan them with your iPhone camera, or a QR scanner if you are an Android user.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-03-04 20:24

Oh I think I have been here! Maybe ten years ago or so.

Evelina
2020-03-04 20:26

Is this the island that smells like surströmming?

Niklas
2020-03-05 13:05

It didn’t smell like surströmming when we visited, but they sold it in the grocery store. You may be thinking of Ulvön. I think they still make surströmming there. It’s just a short boat trip south-west of Trysunda, but its must larger (it’s actually two islands). Ulvön is also well worth at least a day-trip.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-03-05 14:24

Oh okay 🙂 then I'll have to check this location out!

Scroll to top
Annons: