Annons:
Tagbest-of-sweden
Read 1554 times
Evelina
2019-06-23 21:28

Best way to navigate the dentist in Sweden

Hej! So I am wondering how going to the dentist works in Sweden. I no longer have coverage in the US, which is where I normally go to the dentist for yearly check ups and cleaning. Both my sambo and I are Swedish citizens and I don’t know if that matters. I am a student and he works full time, again I don’t know if that matters when going to the dentist and the cost. Specifically, I am looking to go to the dentist for a cleaning and a check up. While my sambo needs to get treated for several cavities, a cleaning, and to fix one of his (I don’t know what it’s called but essentially fake half of a tooth). We are located in Stockholm. 🙂

Annons:
Niklas
2019-06-24 13:06

Basically, you go to a dentist of choice. There are the state-owned Folktandvården (Peoples dental care) all over the country, and lots of private ones.

Make sure that the one you choose is affiliated with Försäkringskassan (I guess most, if not all, are). Then you are allowed a dental care subsidy. How much you get depends on your age. If you are 24 to 29 years old or over 64, the subsidy is 1,200 SEK over two years. Otherwise, it’s 600 SEK, except for children and people under 24. Their dental care is free (100 % state subsidized).

Also, for dental care costs of between 3,001 and 15,000 SEK over 12 months, the price is 50 percent state subsidized. For costs over 15.000 SEK, it is 85 percent state subsidized.

As you may have guessed, this is where some of the taxes we pay in Sweden goes. 🙂

City Dental advertises that they are low cost, speak multiple languages, highly competent, and the largest private dental clinic in the Nordics. I haven’t used them.

» Om oss | City Dental

My family and I go to CM Tandklinik in Vallentuna. It's a small private practice with a handful of employees. I like them for their friendliness and attention to detail. They have TV:s in the ceiling so you can distract yourself while they work and they are great with kids with special needs, among other things. They also provide good advice for maintaining a healthy dental status.

» CM Tandklinik

My experience is that a regular checkup cost around 500-600 SEK. Having my teeth cleaned as well takes it to around 1,200 SEK.

Your question gave me a reason to update myself on the Swedish dental care system, so thanks! 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-06-24 13:16

I forgot to mention that you can buy dental insurance where you pay a flat monthly fee and nothing when you go to the dentist for a checkup or if you need fixing something. If you are interested, I can ask one of the kids for details. I have never had one myself.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-06-25 00:26

Yeah i am interested in the dental insurance! And if you have any knowledge of how financing for braces/invisalign works. I had braces as a teenanger need them again for dental purposes rather than just cosmetic.

Evelina
2019-06-25 02:03

Thanks btw for the information and recommendations for dental offices. I know my samba prefers to go somewhere near his work, which is next to NK in Stockholm. I told him to book an appointment at a dentist close to that area. I think I will have to wait until I get back to Stockholm to make my appointment in September or October. 🙂

Niklas
2019-06-25 07:31

#3: You can read about the insurance, called Frisktandvård, here:

» Bli Frisktandvårdskund

Folktandvården offers loans to pay for expensive dental care. If you pay it back in 24 months, it is free of interest. Otherwise, you pay interest.

» Tandvårdslån

City Dental is located on Drottninggatan. That's close to NK. They are open Monday to Sunday.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-06-25 17:47
Annons:
jordan
2019-06-26 00:39

#1 Free dental care until 24? That seems like a really good deal to be fair, we only have it until age 18.

Niklas
2019-06-26 09:39

#7: They have raised the age one year at a time for five years. Don't know what the goal is though.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-06-26 19:43

I ended up booking two separate appointments at the folktandvård for the one day ill be in Stockholm this summer in between flights. I booked a checkup and a cleaning. And I’m going to ask for a referral for the orthodontist so I can go there when I get back from Germany. My back tooth is crooked and bites into my cheek and it’s driving me crazy. I don’t have money to fix it but I’m hoping to get more information on the cost and how long it would take to fix. As for my sambo, he is on his own lol. I tried to book him appointments but he wasn’t having it. He is scared of the dentist but he really needs to fix his cavities 😮

Niklas
2019-06-27 11:01

Is it a wisdom tooth that is bugging you? In that case, I would ask to get rid of it. Perhaps your sambo can ask for a referral to a clinic where they can anesthetize him while they work on his teeth. The worst thing with dentist phobia is that things tend to get worse the longer you wait. If you care for your teeth, regular checkups, and cleaning aren't that scary. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2019-06-27 20:25

#10 I actually had all four wisdom teeth removed with I was 20. When I had my braces removed when I was 18, I believe they removed the braces too early (which I was eager for because I hated braces). Unfortunately, my very far back right tooth was still growing in. So now it is very crooked sticking out sideways and into my cheek. I guess it’s a normal molar ? I don’t know the names of them. It feels as if it’s gotten worse in the last year. Not sure if it’s still growing or a 5th impacted wisdom tooth is growing causing it to shift further. Although I had x rays done a year ago and they didn’t say anything to me about one. I think it’s pretty rare. My sambo does need his impacted wisdom teeth removed. I will tell him to ask about the anesthesia for his cavities.

jordan
2019-06-28 00:52

#10 From my experience (although not in Sweden) anesthetic is a good option, however it may be that not all dentists offer it, meaning you have to go further.

Niklas
2019-06-28 10:52

#12: Yes, not all dentist clinics offer anesthetic. #11: Then it probably is a regular molar.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2019-06-28 18:42

Balint made two appointments for July. One for cleaning and one for the dentist. It took awhile before he actually did it 😂 he really didnt want to.

Niklas
2019-06-28 19:16

Good in him! 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: