Annons:
Tagbest-of-sweden
Read 1415 times
Niklas
2018-10-10 12:54

Girl finds 1500 year old sword in lake

Saga Vanecek, 8, from Minnesota, found a pre-Viking era sword in a Swedish lake. “I held it up and said Daddy, I found a sword!” https://t.co/Xa5Gygy11g @StarTribune

— Emma Löfgren (@ekjlofgren) October 4, 2018

Eight year old Swedish-American Saga Vanecek was playing in lake Vidöstern when she found a sword from before the vikings.

”I was outside in the water, throwing sticks and stones and stuff to see how far they skip, and then I found some kind of stick," Saga told The Local.”

The sword is believed to be from 400-500 AD. That is at least 200 years before the vikings roamed in Sweden. Some weeks later archaeologists found a brooch in the same place.

Stories like this are cool. Every year “new” rune stones and other viking era finds are uncovered around Sweden. Many by archaeologists, but some also by ordinary citizens.

» Eight-year-old Swedish-American girl pulls pre-Viking era sword from lake - The Local

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2018-10-10 23:04

What a lovely story! How much do you think something like that is worth?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2018-10-11 08:44

I’m not sure it has much value outside a museum, but there probably are a few people who have things like this on their living room walls. It might have a greater value if it was in better condition. Now, many likely would have mistaken it for some old metal junk. But I can be wrong. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tealover
2018-10-13 22:46

#1 in Sweden your not allowed to keep and/or sell such things. They belong to the state (museums). If it is gold or silver you might have some right to compensatio

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Niklas
2018-10-15 13:16

#3: Yes, I think there’s some kind of finder’s fee you can receive.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-10-15 19:30

#3 I remember reading about that in one of the museums in Stockholm, they had a massive gold collection.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tealover
2018-10-15 19:41

#5 and the biggest sami silver treasure is in Stockholm not in a city in Sapmi 😢 It actually was found just a few miles from my homestead

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: