Annons:
Tagbest-of-sweden
Read 1368 times
Niklas
2018-05-14 12:10

Bank robberies down by 98 % in Sweden

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Yes, that's right, there simply is no money to take in Swedish banks. Ten years ago there were 110 bank robberies in Sweden. In 2016 there were two. Swedes have in large part gone digital when it comes to money. They use cards and electronic payments.

This is almost ironic considering Sweden was the first European country to print banknotes in 1661:

”In 1661, Sweden became the first European country to print banknotes; several centuries later, it might become the first country to get rid of them. Card readers and mobile-payment apps are now used even in situations that were once reserved for dog-eared bills and pocket change, like donating in church. Buses in Sweden don’t accept cash. Neither do many street vendors.”

Instead of robbing banks, thieves in Sweden find new ways to make a living:

”Imagine breaking into the back of a moving delivery truck by night and stealing tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of Apple products. Now imagine reaching for that truck from the hood of a car traveling 50 miles an hour, its lights off to avoid detection. After enduring several such attacks, the Swedish postal service, PostNord, busted the highway robbers by wiring a truck with cameras, filling it with Apple products, and waiting. On a road somewhere between Vara and Alingsås, in southwest Sweden, the robbers took the bait, and cops moved in.”

Swedish Thieves Turn to Wildlife Trafficking - The Atlantic

Some day we may be regretting going all cash-less. For instance when electricity goes down. Until then I will continue to enjoy a cash-less life.

(Photo by Niels Steeman at Unsplash)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2018-05-14 21:36

This is something that was often mentioned to me before coming to Sweden, that it is a cash free society. In cases like this it definitely has its perks, but sometimes it's nice to have cash for smaller transactions I think.

Niklas
2018-05-14 22:15

I use cash perhaps once a year, maybe less. And never voluntarily. I have a doctor who takes cash only.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Leia
2018-05-15 19:23

As an unknowing tourist, this can be very annoying if you've exchanged your cash in advance!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2018-05-15 20:38

#3 True that! I kinda dismissed the whole cash free idea and thought money would be fine, I was wrong of course Laughing

Scroll to top
Annons: