Tagbest-of-sweden
Read 1276 times
Niklas
2018-05-11, 19:43

What is klämdag?

When you live in Sweden, you will get acquainted with ”klämdag.”

If a public holiday happens on a Thursday or Tuesday, there will be one day, a Monday or Friday, between the holiday and the weekend. It's squeezed in between the holiday and weekend. ”Klämdag” means ”squeeze-day” in Swedish. Many Swedes take the opportunity to take a day off on ”klämdagar” to have a long weekend. If, for instance, a national holiday is on a Thursday, you can take Friday ”klämdag” off and have four whole days free.

Yesterday was Ascension Day in Sweden. Since it was a Thursday, today is a typical klämdag.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-05-11, 23:50

I had not heard of this before! Sounds like a good thing to have, only use one days holiday to set up a short break for yourself 🙂

Emmy
2018-05-12, 13:21

It's great! I've always though that it was a thing in every other country as well, but I guess not?

For me it seems obvious to have these "klämdagar", but then of course I've always lived in Sweden.

Is it the same in Norway/Denmark? Or is it not a scandinavian thing?

- Emmy

Hostess of Guinea Pig Savvity

Start your own community!

For your company, club, school class, neighborhood, blog, hobby, interest, gaming clan, family, friend circle, sports team, study group...

Get started in minutes. For free of course!

Niklas
2018-05-12, 14:32

No idea. I've never heard about how the other Nordic countries do.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-05-14, 21:33

#2 We have bank holidays usually on Mondays, so the opportunity is there to extend your weekend, I think it's just there isn't a specific name for it like there is in Sweden 🙂

Scroll to top